Acrylic vs latex paint is somewhat similar when produced from acrylic resin. When acrylic and latex paints were produced, oil and alkyd paints were substituted. Although both paints are similar in some cases, there are many differences between them.
When latex paint is mostly used to paint houses or other structures, acrylic is mainly used in works of art.
Latex paints are available everywhere and you can buy them from any hardware or paint store. On the other hand, acrylic paint can be purchased mainly from craft stores.
When latex paint is water-based, acrylic is based on chemicals. As acrylic contains chemicals and has more elasticity than latex paint. Acrylic paint is better than latex paint because of this stretch.
Unlike latex paints, acrylics are flammable because of their chemical composition. In addition, acrylic is more toxic than latex paint.
Latex is easier to use than acrylic paint in painting surfaces. In addition, latex paints dry faster than acrylic. If you want to remove latex paint, it can be easily done with soap and water. However, removing acrylic paint is difficult and requires a thinner.
Another thing that can be seen is that latex paints cover well with fewer coatings. Most designers choose acrylic paint over latex paint when the exterior painting of a building expands as acrylic contracts according to temperature and weather.
Finally, when comparing the costs of two paints, acrylic paint is more expensive than latex.
Acrylic Vs Latex Paint: The Difference And Which To Use
1. Latex paint is often used for painting buildings or other structures. Acrylic paint is mainly used in works of art.
2. Latex paint is water-based Acrylic is based on chemicals.
3. As acrylic contains chemicals it is more elastic than latex paint. Acrylic paint is better than latex paint because of this stretch.
4. Latex paints cover well with fewer coatings. Most designers choose acrylic paint over latex paint when the exterior painting of a building expands as acrylic contracts according to temperature and weather.
5. When comparing the costs of two paints, acrylic paint is more expensive than latex.
6. Latex paint dries faster than acrylic.
Pros of Acrylic Paint
- Once it’s dry, acrylic paint is much more resistant to the sun and water than latex paint.
- Acrylic paint is elastic. It expands and contracts with temperature, so it works well on wood or outdoor pieces.
- It is easy to apply and goes on smooth and level. High-quality acrylic paint doesn’t always need a topcoat.
- Acrylic paint is more durable than latex paint and adheres very well to porous surfaces.
- You don’t need to prep furniture as carefully for acrylic paint as you do for latex paints.
Cons of Acrylic Paint
- Acrylic paint is more difficult to clean up with soap and water than latex paint since it is chemical-based.
- There aren’t as many finishes of acrylic paint as there is latex paint. Most acrylic paints have a slightly glossy finish. I have never seen matte acrylics.
- It is generally sold in small containers and can be expensive.
- The chemicals in acrylic paints are toxic and flammable. It is less environment-friendly than latex paint.
Latex paint is made from acrylic or vinyl resin and pigments in a water base. High-quality latex paint can work for most of your furniture projects, but there are still pros and cons you should consider.
Pros of Latex Paint
- Latex paint is cheaper than acrylic paint and easy to find. You can find it in all sorts of colours and finishes at almost any paint store.
- It’s less toxic than acrylic paint. Chemical-based acrylic paints release fumes that water-based paints do not.
- Latex paints provide good coverage in fewer coats if you’re painting a large piece of furniture.
- Latex paint dries than acrylic paint, although they take a long time to cure.
- Water-based paints have fewer volatile organic compounds (VOCs) which are bad for the environment.
Cons of Latex Paint
- Low-quality latex paints are prone to chipping. They’re a fine option if you are looking for a cheap way to add colour to an accent piece, but low-quality latex paint will not hold up well under much use.
- Latex paints are not as resistant to the sun and water as acrylic paints are.
- It’s important to sand and prime furniture before applying latex paint. Latex paint bonds to the surface layer of furniture, so it will chip and scratch if the furniture is not prepped properly.
- Latex paint isn’t very elastic. It may chip on outdoor wood furniture, which expands and contracts with temperature and water. Acrylic paints are a better option for wood that will be outdoors.